Partnering with the IGBB has allowed numerous faculty members to overcome the scientific, technical, personnel, and organizational issues that may have prevented them from successfully obtaining extramural grant funding in the past. Leveraging the IGBB's highly trained personnel, cutting-edge scientific equipment, supercomputing and bioinformatics capabilities/expertise, and history of excellence in publishing and grantsmanship can give your proposal(s) the edge it needs to set it apart. The advantages of submitting grants through the IGBB, or in association with the IGBB, are numerous and include the following:
- Trained IGBB staff meet with you to discuss your research and help you develop and draft the text for the genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, bioinformatics, and/or computational biology aspects of your proposal;
- Qualified IGBB staff will provide you with advice concerning efficient and cost-effective experimental approaches -- this is especially important in light of the fact that biotechnology techniques and instrumentation are changing at staggering rates;
- We can help you identify the IGBB personnel (if applicable) and experimental procedures that best fulfill your needs;
- We can help you prepare a budget and budget justification for the proposal;
- If you submit your proposal through the IGBB, IGBB Grants & Contracts Specialist, Mr. Carl Smith, will help you prepare a compliant proposal and will help you submit your proposal through Sponsored Programs -- Mr. Smith is authorized to commit the time of IGBB personnel to your project;
- We will ensure that your department receives its rightful share of overhead (according to MSU Operating Policy 80.12) and make sure your department head understands how working with the IGBB benefits you and your department;
- A portion of the overhead generated by a successful proposal goes to support the HPC², arguably the "crown jewel" of MS State's research infrastructure.
Contact Mr. Carl Smith for details.
Those individuals who have proposals funded with the IGBB serving as submitting organization receive full "internal access" to the HPC² supercomputers, HPC² computer support, and accounting/grant management help from the HPC² Business Office.