We highly recommend that scientists with an interest in working with the IGBB in any capacity register for a MyIGBB
account. Registration is free, easy, and provides investigators with the most efficient and effective way of utilizing the IGBB.
Partnering with the IGBB has allowed numerous
faculty members to overcome the scientific, technical, personnel, and
organizational issues that may have prevented them from successfully
obtaining extramural grant funding in the past. Leveraging the IGBB's highly trained personnel, cutting-edge scientific equipment, supercomputing and bioinformatics capabilities/expertise, and history of excellence in publishing and grantsmanship can give your proposal(s) the edge it needs to set it apart. The advantages of submitting grants through the
IGBB, or in association with the IGBB, are numerous and include the following:
- Trained IGBB staff meet with you to discuss your research and help you develop and draft
the text for the genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, bioinformatics,
and/or computational biology aspects of your proposal;
- Qualified IGBB staff will provide you with advice concerning efficient
and cost-effective experimental approaches -- this is especially important
in light of the fact that biotechnology techniques and instrumentation are
changing at staggering rates;
- We can help you identify the IGBB personnel (if applicable) and experimental procedures that best
fulfill your needs;
- We can help you prepare a budget and budget justification for the proposal;
- If you submit your proposal through the IGBB, IGBB Grants & Contracts Specialist, Ms. Kelsey Stewart, will help you prepare a compliant
proposal and will help you submit your proposal through Sponsored Programs
Ms. Stewart is authorized to commit the time of IGBB personnel to your
- We will ensure that your department receives its rightful share of
overhead (according to MSU Operating Policy 80.12) and make sure your department head understands how working with
the IGBB benefits you and your department;
- A portion of the overhead generated by a successful proposal goes to
support the HPC², arguably the "crown jewel" of MS State's research infrastructure.
Contact Ms. Kelsey Stewart for details.
Those individuals who have proposals funded with the IGBB serving as submitting organization receive full "internal access" to the HPC² supercomputers, HPC² computer support, and accounting/grant management help from the HPC² Business Office.
PIs are asked to consider whether the participation of an IGBB employee in a project merits that employee's inclusion as a co-author on a resulting manuscript(s). The decision ultimately lies with the PI. However, the IGBB encourages IGBB staff and faculty involved in Proposal Partnerships
and Research Agreements
to discuss/negotiate co-authorship with PIs before starting work on a project.
Dr. Olga Pechanova
Senior Research Associate
Discovering novel anti-fungal compounds
MAFES & IGBB
The IGBB is supported, in part, by the following units:
The IGBB is an HPC² member center.